Thursday, May 31, 2007

What's the point?

I had my "performance review" yesterday at work. I was told that I was doing really good. But...

The company only gives out raises when you change positions. The only raise that you might get is a cost of living adjustment but that's not until October.

My manager then went on to say that I would be training on a few different things. I asked him if after gaining the new skills and certifications, if I would be up for a position or title change. No.

Well what the fuck? The last place that pulled this on me, I quit two weeks after my review. What's the point in a pointless job? I really don't want to get fired, but I really need to go and talk to my manager. What's my incentive for going out and learning all of this stuff on my own time if I'm not rewarded for it?

I don't meant to sound like a money grubbing a-hole, but I also don't want to be a sucker. My only reason to stay would be if the eventual change in position 3+ years down the road, brought a 25% raise. I severely doubt that will ever happen.

I guess that I'm just going to keep collecting my paycheck doing something that I could do blindfolded. I can go to school at night, read whatever books that I need to, and train myself for a change in industry. I'm guessing that in two years, I could get a position in the IT field making 30-40% more than I am at this dead-end job.

2 Comments:

Blogger just some dude said...

We both need to get the fuck out of this profession, for once I'd like to just be able to pay all my bills. Way too often I go into these offices and see some dumbass making 6 figures knowing I could do his job! It gets discouraging to work my ass off everyday and barely break even and then get told that I make too much money. Fuck the man! Viva` Revolution!

3:41 PM  
Blogger BP said...

Yep. I'm done with this crap. I've been thinking of going in and talking to JD but why? The guy is a fucktard. He bullshitted me saying I'd be doing this and that when it's obvious all that he wanted was an experienced installer.

12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home