Tuesday, February 22, 2005

HSGM

It hit me like a tons of bricks today...a magnificent moment of perfect clarity...or something like that...

It's not alternative music, it's high-school-girl-music! That is THE best way to describe what the "New Rock" station considers to be alternative. The sad thing is that I think that they actually don't care that it's played repeatedly 43 million times a day. Here's a brief conversation that I overheard at my local Wals-Mart...

(Green Day songs starts playing over Wals-Mart PA system)
High School Girl Employee: Oh my god, this is the best song ever! Don't you think it's great?
High School Guy Employee: You've got to be kidding me! This song sucks and they play it every five minutes.


I chuckled but resisted from chiming in. It was GREAT. BTW, please don't fault me for shopping at Wals-Mart. It was the only place that I knew that I could get AAA batteries and Power Steering Fluid. Wals-Mart is evil. But that's for another post.

The sad thing is that as less and less people listen to the radio, it makes ClearChannel's job of acquiring all of the nation's radio stations that much easier.

Isn't it great that the FCC loosened the restrictions on how many stations one company can own in a given market? Thanks FCC.

Isn't bitching fun kids? :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home